A press release from LIANZA worth noting and celebrating 🙂
Today officially marks LIANZA’s centenary
In January 1910 the Dunedin City Council resolved to convene a conference of the representatives from Public Libraries of New Zealand for the purpose of discussing matters affecting the general conduct and management of libraries.
On 26th March 1910 the first library conference in New Zealand was held where 15 delegates from 7 libraries attended and formed the Libraries Association of New Zealand, now known as LIANZA.
This year marks 100 years of the Association and is a chance to celebrate many of LIANZA’s achievements including the introduction of formalised training for librarians and actively lobbying government for the development of library services in New Zealand, setting up of a National Library and providing books in schools.
Throughout this year there will be many opportunities for the profession to participate and share in national and regional centennial activities and celebrations culminating in the LIANZA Conference in Dunedin, the same city that hosted the first library conference and the Jubilee Conference in February 1960.
Planned Centenary Events
LIANZA has a number of events planned to celebrate the centenary and we will keep you up to date with details of other events as the year progresses:
- LIANZA Centenary publication – the 100 year history of the Association has been written by Wellington writer Julia Millen and will be published later this year
- LIANZA’s Centennial Conference: At the Edge in Dunedin from 28th November – 1 December
- LIANZA Regions will be hosting centenary celebrations and events in your area – check with your local region for more information to assist with events
- LIANZA Centenary Quiz – Mid-year the profession will be quizzed on the history of the profession in New Zealand
- LIANZA Blog – The profession will be able to share stories, photos and details of celebratory events via the blog on the new LIANZA website
Call for photographs
LIANZA is seeking photographs from past and present members of the Association featuring LIANZA representatives, buildings, conferences, events and gatherings. We are especially interested in group shots and photos showing the changes to the profession over the years.
We would love to see your photos and, where possible, use them in the Centenary publication, on the Centenary blog and for slideshow presentations at the LIANZA Conference and other centenary celebrations.
Please dig out any photos you might have and send them in to the LIANZA office. You may wish to scan your images and email them as high resolution jpegs to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would prefer to send in original copies, please ensure you provide your full return details so we can return the images to you once we have finished.
For further information about LIANZA’s centennial plans contact your local LIANZA Regional Council or the LIANZA office.
Read Full Post »